One of the more recent developments in vision correction is refractive lens exchange at our Torrance location. In this procedure, our Torrance eye doctor will replace the natural, clouded lens with an artificial lens.
Replacing the natural lens can be done to restore clear vision during our Orange County cataract surgery or can be used as a prevention technique against the development of cataracts. Since the artificial lens is not composed of biological material it cannot develop cataracts.
While many people don’t develop vision obstructing cataracts until later in life, others begin to notice them earlier. In these early cases, patients can choose to exchange the natural lens with a high tech artificial lens, removing the necessity of living with glasses or other vision correction devices.
There are several advantages to preventing the full development of cataracts through the use of lens exchange surgery. There are different types of lenses which each have specific correction advantages. Having these lenses can accomplish one or more of the following:
- Eliminates the need for reading glasses
- Eliminates the risk of developing presbyopia or cataracts
- Provides an effective alternative to LASIK
- Provides the ability to exchange the lens, allowing for future adjustments
Types of artificial (intraocular) lenses (IOLs)
There are several types of lenses which address different vision correction requirements.
- Monofocal intraocular lenses (IOLs) improve vision at one focal point, usually distance vision. Reading will still require corrective lenses but this type of lens may eliminate the need for full time glasses or contact lenses. This type of lens is covered by insurance as during cataract surgery, a new lens of some type must be inserted to replace the natural clouded lens.
- Tecnis Multi-Focal lenses deliver vision correction and clarity at any focal point. As with the natural, functioning lens, patients can focus up close for reading, or at any distance. The Tecnis Multi-Focal lens will respond to the demands placed upon it by everyday life, eliminating the need for glasses after cataract surgery.
- Crystalens HD is an accommodating intraocular lens that is able to flex and bend as the eye focuses. It can be used to treat presbyopia, either with or without cataracts being present. Patients with presbyopia have natural lenses that are unable to flex and bend according to the demands placed on them by reading and doing close work.
- The Crystalens HD is unique in its ability to fit into the action of existing eye muscles. This increases depth of focus which is what allows the eye to focus clearly on objects at any distance. This type of lens is a wonderful option for the restoration of full spectrum vision.
- Another benefit of the Crystalens HD lens is the elimination of problems associated with many other types of IOLs. There have been reports of glare, halos and problems with night vision. The Crystalens HD lens relays a single image to the brain, unlike multifocal lenses, which prevents the brain from having to adjust to multiple images.
- The Toric IOL is the first IOL specifically designed to help patients with astigmatism. The Toric IOL is shaped to offset the imbalance caused by the typical elliptically shaped cornea which defines astigmatism.
- Toric IOLs significantly improve distance vision without the need for glasses or contact lenses and for patients with cataracts as well as astigmatism, this lens is a dramatic improvement over the standard IOL. 95% of patients report they have clear vision following the insertion of a Toric IOL. This lens is permanent effectively eliminating pre-existing astigmatism.
- The TRULIGN® Toric IOL was recently approved by the FDA and is now available at Atlantis Eyecare in Torrance. This lens represents the very latest in refractive lens technology serving patients with severe astigmatism who wish to correct nearsightedness.
- TRULIGN Toric IOLs can correct a very broad spectrum of vision problems which are difficult to correct in those with astigmatism. Patients with severe astigmatism who wish to investigate the potential of TRULIGN Toric IOLs for their needs only need to call for a consultation to determine if this is the right option. TRULIGN Toric IOLs are premium lenses designed to treat cataracts as well as astigmatism and may well be the perfect lens for you.